Saturday, May 7, 2011

Khe Yongbu gives me a hope

People say if child is notoriously active and inquisitive from the moment they learn to speak, they grow up as normally (in fact generally) intelligent and bright individual. So does our old Bhutanese proverb proclaim, “Mi chig wongna chunglay wong; Ta chig wongna tewlay wong” meaning if a person is to grow as responsible human being with all the qualities of a good human, then s/he will exhibit those traits from the childhood itself as is the case with a horse. 

As parent and a father, I often land up observing my child’s development on daily basis. My elder daughter, like any other children is naughty and would not listen to anyone. In fact, she would want to do what we insist her not to do. This allows her mother to yell at her repeatedly (I don’t know how many times…countless!) and father to catch hold of a small whip (particularly designed for that only). This doesn’t help, because she is a child and she wants to learn things by herself as she grows. That’s fine! But one thing she has not been able to impress me and my wife until now. Amidst all these notorious acts of hers, she has never come up asking us how, who, what, when, where and why? Should she ask I’m sure we would find ourselves in an embarrassing situation?

Last weekend, my wife and I bought her new school bag, a pair of shoes and a sun cap. The moment it was presented to her she got so excited to own these new items – she put on her cap, wore new shoes, loaded her bag with books, pencils, water bottle and other accessories and started carrying it. That Sunday evening I was doing a story on “The Real Supermom” as she came near me still carrying her new bag. I ignored her presence. She patted on my right shoulder and said, “Apa…apa! Yongbu,” pointing her finger to a large Khe Yongbu on the plastic matt. Then she said, “Apa why Yongbu is not flying today?” I stared at her for a moment with great excitement that she is now learning to seek answers and replied, “It fell down from the window just now and it’s sick. Please don’t disturb.” She said, “I’ll not disturb but I watch with my eyes namo Apa.” I said okay. She lay on the bed still carrying the bag and fell asleep watching that sick Khe Yongbu on the floor.

2 comments:

  1. So nice. Loved it so much. As a father myself, I understand your emotions. Kids make us grow that's what I have learned. I was born again with my daughter and that makes me only eight months old. Keep writing. Your pieces always put some sense in me and good messages to carry home. Good work. And yeah keep up with the good work with the paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Penstar for your wonderful comments.

    ReplyDelete