Monday, December 3, 2012

When things don't go right!

Early October 2012, I was on an official tour to Dagana Dzongkhag. There were senior officials as there were juniors in the group. The group seemed perfect with courteous leader leading us. It could have been my sheer reserved nature that I knew only few members in the group. But somehow through exchange of few words, few people got listed in my "known list" after this trip.

Whatsoever, this is not something I want to talk here.

It is about not so rare - a blunder, that I'm used to. People tend to hide one's own weaknesses and mistakes. I see no reason in doing that mainly because of two reasons - firstly, other people already know your weaknesses or somehow get to know that; and secondly, your weakness in one area doesn't mean that you are bad everywhere. Remember, each person is gifted with one unique talent each that only needs to be explored.

I sing but I'm not a good singer. I do croak at times. Similarly, I dance but not a fine dancer either.

A young gentleman - a dzongkhag official lead the circle with his powerful and pleasing voice. Everyone of us danced along providing vocal supports wherever possible. Then there was young lady from our group, who could sing and dance breathlessly. I appreciate their talents.

The dance around the fire went on. I took a brief break out of the circle for a khamdo of Doma. Ata Chedup, our driver and I stood watching while we shared appreciations of these two talented people. Then there was a pause after the song. At that moment, one senior official murmured, 'Lhuendrup Tsei Dzongchhen' and sought help to lead the song from members among the circle. Someone from the group proposed to know that - a Boedra version of it. Unfortunately it was not the one he wanted.

'Um...' I thought. I worked there for last many years. I mean Lhuentse. During that many years, I've had many chances to sing and dance that song on many occasions. I know that song. I immediately got into the circle and proposed, 'Is it the zhungdra version that you are looking for la?'

'Yes' he said. And I lead the song.

I thought I could sing that. I thought I knew that song very well. That evening was a big flop. My voice did not function well. People started staring at each-others faces as a sign of mild mockery while a senior official of that dzongkhag mimicked my voice to a greater mockery. What a shame, I could hear the judge of Bhutan Star speaking to me, "Choedgi scale atsi chig metubay."

That senior official, the one who proposed that song looked totally pissed off. I let him down I know, but that was suppose to be an informal program wherein we let ourselves at ease with a bit of fun. And things don't go right all the time. I croak sometimes and that was the evening I croaked. Sorry officer you'll not hear me croak again.

1 comment:

  1. Haha. That was unfortunate. It's bad to know that night left a negative impact on you. I hope you will not stop singing. We are all good in our own ways. Nobody can sing the way you do. That's the specialty. The senior officer should have cheered you instead. After all you got the right song, the one he wanted. Nice post, Kinzang sir.

    ReplyDelete