Thursday, November 21, 2013

Dechog's first day at School

March 1, 2012 Dechog, my elder daughter woke up excited as she would be going to school. So was me and I called up my wife who was that time in Thailand undergoing a short training, that our child is going to school that day. By then, I had already bought her new set of uniforms, shoes and a suitable school bag.

She happily followed me to school. Neatly dressed in her new school uniform she appeared bright and pretty. Upon reaching the school there were old students as there were new students - some happy, some scared and some totally lost. And there were noises of children meeting each other and parents seeking directions while teachers greeted everyone coming in. Amidst all these, Tring-tring-tring the school bell rang.

Meanwhile, I was closely observing my child. I know it was a shock for her to see such a crowd. Gradually she started to wear different facial expressions. I could see her getting scared. I could feel her loneliness. I could see her become sad and loose her confidence.

"You are like any other child. Look at them how they're playing. They're happy and you should be happy too," I said. My words had no impact on her. "Come on, say you are happy. Aren't you?" I persuaded again. That time she did force me a cute smile. As I guided her to the line she broke down into tears and then kept staring at me. And as morning prayers went on she started to cry out loud which drew the attention of Madam Principal. She was then summoned in front of the assembly along with Madam Principal herself.
Madam Principal tried her best to stop her from crying and made announcement, "It's just that she has a bit of stomachache and that's why she's crying. Otherwise, no one should be crying in the school." But my daughter kept crying. When others got into their classes she would not want to go but kept holding my hands. That was the time she need me the most beside her. And now emotions were slowly taking over me too. I could feel my eyes get wet and the suffocation build up over my throat. I didn't know what to do. I was thinking may be I should take her back and enroll next year. To make her cry whole day long would be the most painful thing to do as every tear drop she shed came like an arrow piercing my heart.

As we stood at the classroom door, a lady teacher came to us with a chocolate, "Have this my child. You will be fine here and now get in the class," she guided her in the class. But for me, I could not leave her in that state. I went to the back of their class room and peeped through the hole to see if she's improving. For about ten minutes I waited there until a teacher friend of mine came and assured me, "It's always like that sir. She should be fine now. You may go now but in case she still keeps crying we'll let you know."

Then I headed to my office still worried about her state. And in the office too I was not in peace but fortunately I did not receive any calls from the school. That was her day one at the school and one of the most painful days in my life.

Today, November 21, 2013 (coinciding with her father's birthday) she sits for her final examination in class one. She's now happy in the school as well as she is happy with me.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Sir. It really touched me. I hope so to your wife and daughter. And that's the beauty and blessing of being a parent. Keep writing and inspiring me to become a father soon, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best moment captured. I know how painful this must have been to you, worse her mother wasn't there. Mothers have magic. It pained me to see the picture of your daughter crying but I loved it because it's the begining of a good life. Loved reading it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dream someday of such experience sirji...:)

    ReplyDelete